The golden setting sun glows in the waves of the roaring stream which reflects the surrounding peaks...
... The trees on the bank throw shadows over the almost surreal scenery. The crystal-clear water feels comfortably cool on the skin as you dive below the surface and enjoy the silence of this wonderful place. Wild swimming is one of the best experiences in the Salzburger Saalachtal – hardly anyone, no matter how old, can resist its allure.
Wild and pristine water can be experienced in the Salzburger Saalachtal in all of its forms, with all of your senses. There are more places to dive into the invigorating water and experience its refreshing power than in virtually any other region. „Wild Swimming“ means more than just marvelling at water in all of its beauty; it also means discovering new places where you can plunge in to cool down.
What could be nicer than finally taking off your shoes and clothes after a long hike or strenuous mountain climb and stepping cautiously into the cool water before jumping in? There are countless places where you can go wild swimming in the Salzburger Saalachtal: the beautiful bays along the Saalach where the white-water seems to take a breather; the imposing waterfalls of the Waterfall Trail on the way to the Almenwelt; along the streams in the shady forests or in one of the picturesque mountain lakes whose natural beauty and peace cannot be beaten.
Wild Swimming: Top Spots in the Salzburger Saalachtal
GAISSTEIG UNKEN - REITH
- Accessible on foot from Unken/Landhotel Schütterbad (ca. 25 minutes) or from Reith (ca. 10 minutes)
- A sunny place, perfect for cooling off your legs in the Saalach during your walk
- The outdoor activity providers also like to take a break here on rafting tours
Entrance to the INNERSBACHKLAMM - REITH BEI UNKEN
- Accessible on foot from Unken/Landhotel Schütterbad (ca. 30 minutes) or from Reith (ca. 10 minutes)
- A small rock pool is situated at the entrance to the gorge. Cool off in the stream which leads to the Saalach
- Great combined with a walk through the Innersbachklamm
GRUBHOF bridge Lofer
- Accessible by e-mountain bike or on foot from Scheffsnoth/Lofer or Strohwolln/St. Martin (15 minutes walking from both starting points)
- Wild bathing spots with small sandy bays and space to sunbathe
HOCHMOOSTEICH IN ST. MARTIN
- Accessible by car, e-mountain bike or on foot (a pond directly at Gasthof Hochmoos, next to the tennis courts)
- Top spot with water wheel - a sunny play area for children
NATURBADEGEBIET VORDERKASER IN ST. MARTIN
- Accessible by car, e-mountain bike or on foot. (ca. 5 km from St. Martin)
- Natural bathing lakes along the course of the stream with space to sunbathe
- Barbecue stations right next to the bathing lakes
- Sunny bathing spots - perfect for the whole family
- More information about hiking and bathing in the Vorderkaserklamm in the Holiday Magazine
STROHWOLLNER SCHLUCHT IN ST. MARTIN
- Accessible by car, e-mountain bike or on foot (ca. 10 minutes walk from Strohwolln/Strohwolln Chapel)
- Shady spot, ideal to cool off your feet on hot summer days
SEEHORNSEE IM NATURPARK WEISSBBACh
- Only accessible by foot from the Kallbrunnalm (ca. 1 hour uphill)
- In shade in the mornings, perfect to refresh tired hiking feet
- Can also be combined with a mountain hike to the Seehorn - to the Tour Portal
NEw Stream IN WEISSBACh
- Directly in the village centre, Weißbach
- Perfect for freshing up after hiking, biking or climbing in Weißbach
Family Paradise by the Water
As appealing as the water high up in the mountains is for athletes and hikers, families are more likely to play on the large sand banks along the Saalach and in the natural bathing area Vorderkaser. The little ones have great fun building sandcastles and paddling in shallow water while their older companions can test their courage jumping from the rocks into the water. The Vorderkaser bathing area also offers barbecue areas where you can prepare your own food and round off a perfect family day.
Whether you are longing to cool off after sport or to swim at sunset as a couple in a mountain lake or you want to enjoy a varied day with the whole family on a natural beach, the water in the Salzburger Saalachtal is an absolute paradise for young and old. It appears in countless forms and it is always worth discovering it anew. There's no doubt about it – diving in pays off.